Third hand smoking is the smell of the cigar which adheres to skin, hairs, walls, fabrics and other surfaces in homes, offices and cars. The smell emanates from the toxic chemical substances released by the smoke which are very harmful for your health especially respiratory health. Non-smokers get exposed to these substances without even touching a cigar. Thus, it is necessary to eliminate cigar smoke odor irrespective of whether you smoke yourself or someone else smoked in your home or car.
There are many simple steps to get rid of the smoke odor from your body and other surfaces.
Opening all the windows is essential before tackling the hard surfaces. A solution of 50:50 white vinegar in hot water can be used. A mixture of ½ cup baking soda, ½ ammonia and ¼ cup of vinegar in a gallon of hot water can also be used for walls and ceiling. Fill the solution in a spray bottle and use it to spray the solution on the surfaces and use a rag to wipe. Surfaces which should be cleaned include the following.
- Walls and Ceilings
- Light fixtures
- Photo frames
- Decorative items
- Fan blades
Generate air circulation by turning on the fans in the room after opening the windows. An air purifier equipped with HEPA filters is also effective in eliminating cigar smoke odor from the room. This is because odour-causing molecules are removed by the HEPA air purifier. If the odour lingers in the air even after switching on the fans or HEPA air purifier, you can place activated charcoal or white vinegar in the room. The odor is absorbed by activated charcoal and white vinegar.
Cigar smoke clings to fabrics such as carpets, cushions, pillows and clothes. In order to eliminate cigar smoke odor from fabrics, follow the below mentioned steps.
- Fabrics such as linen, cushion cover, pillow, curtain, etc. should be infused with ½ cup of vinegar instead of detergent and subjected to a wash cycle in the washing machine. Thereafter, another wash cycle is required using a conventional detergent. Hot wash cycles should not be used because high temperature reinforces the smoke odor.
- In case of manual washing, soak the fabrics overnight in a solution of one cup of baking powder. Thereafter, wash and rinse using a solution of one cup of distilled white vinegar.
- The fabric items must be air dried after washing to prevent shrinkage. They must not be exposed to high temperature so that any lingering odor does not get stuck to the fabric.
Skin and Hair
There are several simple ways to eliminate cigar smoke odor from the body and hair. Some of them are as follows.
- To remove smoke odor from hands, put liquid soap on your hands and add a teaspoon of baking soda to it. Thereafter, mix them by rubbing your hands together and wash them using warm water.
- Facial cleanser eliminates the smoke odor from the face.
- Applying shampoo and conditioner removes smoke odor from hair.
- Alcohol based sanitizer can be used on exposed skin to remove smoke odor.
Car seats and carpet should be cleaned using a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water, white vinegar and water or bleach and water to eliminate cigar smoke odor. Rubber mats can be cleaned using detergent solution.